Peter Obi in Osogbo

The Labour Party has called on the Nigeria Police and other security agencies to provide adequate security for the party during its campaign rallies.

The National Publicity Secretary of the Labour Party, Abayomi Arabambi, disclosed that the party had written to the police for protection.

He said: “Although officially we have written for protection, we will not mind taking private security (guards) who will be loyal to the cause.

“With or without the US security advisory alert, Labour Party is already under attack from the APC-led Federal Government. Our supporters were attacked in Lagos, Bayelsa, and Ebonyi during rallies and even recently by the Iyaloja General of Lagos in conjunction with Governor Sanwo-Olu where our members trade. They were forced to pay N5,000 for the Tinubu rally. If you cannot pay, they take over their shops. It was all over the media, yet security agencies closed their eyes to this.”

Naija News reports that this is coming after the alarm raised by both the United States of America and the United Kingdom over the possibility of a terrorist attack in Abuja.

RELATED  Atiku ’ll win 70% of votes in Oyo, 40% in S’West, says ex-deputy governor

In a statement on Sunday in Abuja, the US Embassy announced that it would offer reduced services until further notice and urged American citizens to avoid non-essential movements.

The statement added that possible targets by the terrorists may include government buildings, places of worship, schools, markets, shopping malls, hotels, bars, restaurants, athletic gatherings, transport terminals, law enforcement facilities, and international organizations.

Also, in an advisory issued on Sunday by its Embassy in Abuja, the United Kingdom advised its citizens in Nigeria to stay alert and consider their movements carefully.

RELATED  INEC Bans 2023 Political Campaigns At Churches, Mosques

The British government also urged its citizens to follow the local news and the advice of security authorities in order not to be victims of a terrorist attack.

Reacting, Peter Obi gave conditions for suspending the rallies, adding that campaigns and rallies should not be sacrificed for human lives.

Speaking through his media aide, Emeka Obasi, Peter Obi called on all presidential candidates to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari over the insecurity rocking the nation.

He said, “These are human lives we are talking about. I think it is high time all the presidential candidates in this election sat the president down and discuss the insecurity issue. Otherwise, it is not going to be business as usual for people to go out anyhow for rallies.

“What if along the way, something happens to some people? Imagine if a bomb blast goes off somewhere, every party, not just LP, is likely to postpone or cancel their campaign outright. Insecurity is a very serious issue.

“On our part, we are not taking the security alert lightly because this is coming directly from the US Intelligence. For an American government to issue a such alert, it is not for nothing. Terror is terror everywhere. Nobody is safe.

“This is why I mentioned earlier that my principal is not something that will ignore this kind of threat and pretend all is well.

“But I can assure you that if there are some flashpoints or areas that are not safe for the campaign, my principal will stop it. He doesn’t like risking people’s lives.”

HottestNaija News (https://staging.hottestnaija.com/) – Latest and trending news in Nigeria & around the globe

RELATED  Swimming with bull sharks: Cuba's underwater tourism bet

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *